top of page

A Connor special sends the Badgers into Round 3

Saturday November 12th

Isuzu FA Vase 2nd Round

Brocton 1 Whitchurch Alport 0

Brocton were unchanged from the side that beat Abbey Hey last weekend. Step 5 Whitchurch Alport reached the quarter final of the FA Vase last season and were hoping to go further this season.

Brocton had an early opportunity when Christian Blanchette closed down Alport keeper Ash Rawlins with the ball squirting away for a goal kick. In the 9th minute, a cross from Sam Yeardley picked out Joe Care but his header was off target. A free kick from Jake Triggs was headed into the side netting by Tom Vaughan. Brocton took the lead in the 21st minute. Connor Haddaway broke forward, his initial shot rebounded into his path off a defender. He picked his spot, with the ball at his feet, and from 25 yards, he planted his ball into the corner of the net. Two minutes later and it could have been a second for Brocton. Kenny Devoir headed goalwards, and Rawlins tipped the ball over the bar. An excellent cross from James Rowland flew across the Brocton penalty area with no-one on hand to convert. Connor Haddaway was running the midfield and an excellent crossfield ball picked out Morgan Payne, but his shot was over the bar. Brocton had another great chance in the 37th minute. Sam Scott raced into the box and was tackled from behind by Aaron Simms. With the Brocton bench appealing for a penalty, the ball ran out for a corner. A minute before the break, a corner from Jordan Evans, was headed wide by Nicky Parker. Jordan Evans then had an attempt on goal himself but again, Whitchurch were off target. In stoppage time, another exquisite ball from Connor Haddaway found the feet of Blanchette. He raced into the area before firing across the face of goal.

Half Time: Brocton 1 Whitchurch Alport 0

Whitchurch came out of the blocks with purpose in the second half with a cross from Joe Flory being well defended by Ben Haddaway. Brocton had appeals for a penalty turned down in the 49th minute when Connor Haddaway appeared to be clipped in the penalty area. Whitchurch went close to an equaliser in the 51st minute. A fierce shot from Sam Yeardley was tipped onto the bar by Allsopp. The ball rebounded to Rowland whose header looped onto the cross bar. Whitchurch continued to press, and Flory shot straight at Allsopp. An excellent cross from the impressive Rowland was headed goalwards by Ollie Pope with Allsopp making a comfortable save. In the 70th minute, Flory had an excellent chance for an equaliser but hit the side netting with his effort. Payne wasted a chance for Brocton, dragging his shot wide before Parker cleared the bar with an effort for Whitchurch. Brocton could have sealed it in the 77th minute. Reg Smith played the ball out to Blanchette. His cross to the far post picked out Smith and the Brocton leading scorer saw his shot skim the far post. Connor Haddaway picked up a loose ball and was inches over with his effort. With five minutes on the clock, Simms shot was gathered at the second attempt by Allsopp. In the fourth minute of stoppage time, Whitchurch had a glorious chance to equalise, but Pope’s volley was over the bar and Brocton were through to Round 3.

Full Time: Brocton 1 Whitchurch Alport 0 Attendance:141

Brocton: Tony Allsopp, Jack Bostock, Jake Triggs, Kenny Devoir, Tom Vaughan, Ben Haddaway (Charlie King 80), Morgan Payne (Will Finlay 85), Jake Thomas, Sam Scott (Reg Smith 59), Connor Haddaway, Christian Blanchette. Subs (Not Used): Henry Smith, Luke Haddaway; Adam Weldon, Lewis Rowley

Whitchurch Alport: Ash Rawlins, George Carpenter (Josh Madeley 32), Kieran Evans, Sean Griffiths, Aaron Simms, Joe Care, Joe Flory (Alex Hughes 80), James Rowland, Nicky Parker, Jordan Evans, Sam Yeardley (Ollie Pope 60). Subs (Not Used); Saul Plesca, Keilahn Annikey, Jack Sheward

Yellow Cards: Thomas, King (Brocton)


bottom of page