top of page

Cup success for Badgers

Tuesday 17th October

The Macron Cup Round 1

Brocton 4 Stockport Town 1

Alex Curtis continued to rotate the squad with the third consecutive midweek cup tie. He took the opportunity to play a number of players in different positions, with key fixtures to come in the coming weeks. The fixture should have been played at Stockport but with remedial work taking place at the SSV, the game was switched to Silkmore Lane. Stockport had proven to be difficult opponents for Brocton since the move to the NWCFL and the league table showed this was likely to be another tough encounter.

Brocton made the perfect start to the game, taking the lead after just 26 seconds. Morgan Payne, fresh from a brace at Ashville on Saturday, curled a shot towards goal. Stockport keeper Lewis Sheehy left the ball and looked aghast as it crept into the corner of the net. The visitors responded with an effort from Limpitshi Bongwanga which was narrowly off target. Brocton had started well and Christian Blanchette had a shot blocked in the 4th minute. Seconds later, Will Whieldon broke into the area and his chip was comfortably held. The end to end nature of the game continued with Michael Elstone off target with a drive. In the 12th minute, a superb ball from Charlie King found Blanchette who dragged his shot wide. Lucas Green-Birch was the next to try his luck with his volley over the bar. Stockport went close to an equaliser in the 18th minute. Elstone found space on the left and his low cross beat Tony Allsopp and somehow Tom Vaughan managed to clear the danger. Another threaded pass from King picked out Cam Osborne. His cross was met by Blanchette who spun before seeing his shot cleared off the line. Brocton were playing some excellent football and from a quick break, King shot wide of the post. In the 34th minute, Sheehy made a fine save to deny Osborne. From the resulting corner, Brocton doubled their lead. The ball was delivered from the right, not cleared and Kenny Devoir was on hand to head across the keeper into the net, his third goal in over 300 appearances for the club. Things got even better for Brocton with a third goal in the 38th minute. Payne took aim and his shot took a deflection to send it past Sheehy. Brocton looked to add to the scoreline as the half reached its conclusion. A free kick from Allsopp was headed on by Blanchette and saved by Sheehy. Whieldon fizzed a 25 yard effort over the bar for a dominant Brocton.

Half time: Brocton 3 Stockport Town 0

Stockport made a triple substitution at half-time as they attempted to get back into the game. It was Brocton that created the first chance of the second half. Osborne manoeuvred the ball well to find space before screwing his shot wide. In the 58th minute, a wonder ball from Whieldon picked out Blanchette on the right and his curled effort was inches wide of the post. A minute later, great approach play from Brocton ended with a low cross from Blanchette which was just in front of Payne. In the 63rd minute, a surging run from the back by Vaughan, saw the skipper pay the ball to Payne. He, in turn, passed to Reg Smith whose shot was wide of the far post. Stockport were given a lifeline in the 68th minute. A cross was played into the Brocton penalty area where Charlie Marshall was adjudged to have handled the ball. Dan McLoughlin made no mistake from the penalty spot. The goal gave Stockport added impetus, but they could make no impression on the Brocton defence. Brocton scored their 4th in the 77th minute. A superb cross field ball from Whieldon reached Connor Haddaway. He lifted a perfectly placed cross into the box to the feet of Dec Arber who calmly applied the finish. In the 85th minute Harrison Lomakin-Rogers cleared the bar with a shot for the visitors. Brocton looked almost certain to make it five when Blanchette raced through the middle, but he was stopped by a stunning challenge from Stockport’s man of the match, Elstone. Manger Alex Curtis made a rare appearance from the subs bench and within 30 seconds he brought out a save from Josh Schofield. With time running out, Stockport were awarded a free kick in a good position. Unfortunately for the visitors, Scott McGowan’s free kick sailed high over the bar. Stockport almost grabbed their second in the 90th minute. McLoughlin was through on goal, one-on-one with Allsopp with the Brocton keeper winning the battle with a fine save. The visitors continued to press with Kai Johnston firing over from a decent position. The last chance of the game fell to McLoughlin who headed over from a deep cross.

Full Time: Brocton 4 Stockport Town 1 Attendance:100

Brocton: Tony Allsopp, Adam Weldon, Charlie Marshall, Kenny Devoir, Tom Vaughan, Lucas Green-Birch (Jake Thomas 56), Christian Blanchette (Alex Curtis 87), Will Whieldon, Morgan Payne (Connor Haddaway 69), Charlie King (Dec Arber 69), Cam Osborne (Reg Smith 62)

Stockport Town: Lewis Sheehy (Josh Schofield 45), Ethan Padden, Harrison Lomakin-Rogers, Jack Atkinson, Kai Johnston, Luke Vayro (Daniel Wood 45), Harley Monaghan (Scott McGown 77), Callum Gardner (Dan McLaughlin 45), Limpitshi Bongwanga, Dallas Omoruyi, Michael Elstone. Sub (Not Used): James Vincent

Yellow Cards: Green-Birch (Brocton); Atkinson, Elstone (Stockport Town)


bottom of page