top of page

Stoppage time defeat in the SSC

Tuesday 3rd October

Staffordshire Senior Cup Round 1

Brocton 3 Kidsgrove Athletic 4

Brocton made 7 changes to the side that started at Cammell Laird on Saturday. All 5 subs came into the starting line up along with Jamie Weldon and Declan Arber, who did not feature on The Wirral. Kidsgrove came into the game as leaders of the Northern Premier League West dropping only 2 league points in their opening 8 games.

Kidsgrove went close to breaking the deadlock in the first minute. A superb block from Kenny Devoir denied Jack Bromfield. The ball was knocked back to Kingsley Adu-Gyamfi at the far post and his header cleared the crossbar. Lewis Porter had a chance for Kidsgrove but shot straight at Tony Allsopp. In the 9th minute, a cross from Will Whieldon caused panic in the Kidsgrove defence and they somehow managed to scramble the ball clear. From the short corner, the ball was played out to Arber and his shot was placed to perfection, into the corner, giving Kieran Harrison no chance. The goal lifted Brocton and they created an opening two minutes later; Morgan Payne’s shot comfortably held after he was set up by Arber. Kidsgrove equalised in the 13th minute. A free kick from the right was headed back into the box and the unmarked Lewis Bergin headed home. Three minutes later, Kidsgrove had completed the turn around as they took the lead. Tyrone Cadeau picked up a loose ball, drove forward and his shot took a deflection as it flew past Allsopp into the net. Kidsgrove were proving to be a real challenge for Brocton as they maintained possession and attacked with pace. In the 26th minute, Kieran Knapper forced a fine save from Allsopp, The impressive Adu-Gyamfi wasted a chance in the 28th minute. His initial control was excellent to create the opening, but his finish was weak. Kidsgrove went close again in the 38th minute. A low cross from Knapper was deflected past his own post by Devoir, a vital interception with players waiting to convert. The final chance of a dominant half for Kidsgrove fell to Owen Harrison but he chose to cross rather than shoot and the ball flew across the face of goal with no one on hand to capitalise.

Half Time: Brocton 1 Kidsgrove Athletic 2

Brocton came out after the break, energised, and prepared to take the game to their higher ranked opponents. In the 54th minute, an excellent through ball from Charlie King picked out Cam Osborne. He took the ball forward and hit a fierce drive which was well saved by Kieran Harrison. From the resulting corner from Whieldon, Ben Haddaway headed straight at the Kidsgrove keeper. Adu-Gyamfi created a chance for Cadeau, but his shot was high over the bar. Kidsgrove grabbed a third goal on the hour mark. A corner from the right was not cleared by the Brocton defence and Porter stabbed the ball home. If the visitors thought they had put the game to bed, Brocton had other ideas. Devoir had a header cleared off the line. The ball was played back to Whieldon and his cross appeared to be dropping in at the far post until an acrobatic save from Kieran Harrison palmed the ball away. Brocton halved the deficit in the 65th minute. A surging run into the area by King was ended when the young midfielder was brought down. Whieldon took responsibility from the penalty spot, and despite some gamesmanship from the Kidsgrove keeper, he made no mistake, hammering the ball into the top of the net. Brocton sensed a chance to get back into the game. Arber was tripped on the edge of the area and Whieldon’s free kick was placed perfectly towards the top corner with Kieran Harrison pulling off a magnificent save. Arber was the next to try his luck, his shot deflected agonisingly wide of the far post. The game flowed back and forth, and Joe Woolley missed a chance for Kidsgrove, shooting over the bar. Kieran Harrison continued to be the difference between the two sides, and he pulled off another superb save to deny Osborne, whose shot looked goal bound from the moment it left his boot. Kidsgrove responded well to the pressure and began to look for the goal which would kill off the tie. Knapper, Bromfield and Knapper again were off target as Kidsgrove pressed for their fourth. In the 87th minute, Knapper had a great chance but hit the side netting with his effort. Brocton’s response was emphatic. A long ball from Allsopp, cleared the Kidsgrove back line. Connor Haddaway reacted quickest, controlled the ball, took it past Kieran Harrison, and slotted calmly into the net to bring the sides level. With a penalty shoot-out looming, Kidsgrove broke Brocton hearts with a winner in the first minute of stoppage time. A cross from the left, picked out Woolley who, despite a packed penalty area, headed the ball into the net. Kidsgrove saw out the remaining time to claim their place in the 2nd round of the competition.

Full time: Brocton 3 Kidsgrove Athletic 4 Attendance:173

Brocton: Tony Allsopp, Jamie Weldon, Dan Evans, Kenny Devoir, Tom Vaughan, Ben Haddaway (Lucas Green-Birch 61), Cam Osborne, Will Whieldon, Declan Arber (Reg Smith 77), Charlie King, Morgan Payne (Connor Haddaway 610. Subs (Not Used): Adam Weldon, Christian Blanchette

Kidsgrove Athletic: Kieran Harrison, Kieran Knapper, Owen Harrison, Jack Bromfield, Declan O’Riordan, Lewis Bergin, Kingsley Adu-Gyamfi, Jimmy Garlick (Joe Woolley 44), Lewis Porter, Tyrone Cadeau, Nat Morley, Subs (Not Used): Josh Thorpe, Callum Lovatt

Yellow Cards: Vaughan, King, Arber (Brocton); O. Harrison, Bergin, Morley (Kidsgrove)


bottom of page