top of page

Winning run ended by Nomads

Saturday February 25th

North West Counties Football League First Division South

Cheadle Heath Nomads 4 Brocton 0

Brocton were forced into changes from the side that battled to victory at Foley Meir on Tuesday. Tony Allsopp was unavailable and was replaced between the sticks by Henry Smith. Jake Thomas picked up an injury on Tuesday and was only fit enough for the subs bench, Morgan Payne taking his starting place. Cheadle Heath came into the game as one of the form teams in the division, being unbeaten in ten games under new manager Rory Fallon.

The first attempt on goal came in the 2nd minute from Cheadle Heath midfielder Isaac Graham, his shot being blocked by Ben Haddaway. Brocton’s first attempt came from a Tom Vaughan free-kick which was headed towards goal by Christian Blanchette, the effort being easily caught by Morgan Piper. The speed of the Cheadle Heath front two was very noticeable with Reuben Dass and Adama Sidibeh having pace to burn. Dass was next to try his luck, Henry Smith saving well at the near post. Brocton had the ball in the net in the 6th minute. Will Whieldon played the ball into the box, Ben Haddaway headed it on and Payne nodded it into the net but was adjudged offside. Cheadle Heath went straight down the other end and went close themselves. Henry Smith pulled out a fine save to thwart Sidibeh and the rebound was on target from Dan Byrnes with Jake Triggs clearing off the line. The open game that many anticipated was a treat for the spectators. Whieldon had a shot comfortably saved before Piper acrobatically saved at full stretch from Reg Smith. From the resulting corner, Jack Bostock miss kicked in front of goal as the chance went begging. Brocton were forced into a reshuffle after fifteen minutes losing Adam Weldon through injury. Charlie King slotted into midfield with Whieldon taking over at right back. In the 25th minute, Cheadle Heath went close again. Sidibeh lobbed Henry Smith but the impressive Bostock was on hand to head the ball over the bar. Cheadle Heath continued to stream forward and Sidibeh had a shot superbly blocked by Bostock. Dass was again thwarted by a Henry Smith save at the near post before Cheadle Heath took the lead in the 31st minute. Dass outstripped the Brocton defence down the left, played the ball inside to Byrnes who had the easiest of tasks to tap the ball into the net. Payne had a shot on the turn which was blocked by the home defence before the onslaught continued. Robel Kesete found space on the right with his pace and his shot cleared the angle of post and crossbar. It should have been two for Cheadle Heath in the 37th minute. Sidibeh broke through the Brocton defence, one-on-one with Henry Smith and his simple lob into the net was overhit and it sailed well over. Brocton were forced into a further change when Jake Triggs limped off to be replaced by Thomas. Thomas went into a back three alongside Vaughan and Bostock as Brocton attempted to reorganise. Henry Smith was being kept very busy and a minute later he made another fine save to thwart Dass. With half-time beckoning, Graham hit a powerful shot from just outside the area which Henry Smith saved at full stretch. Three minutes into stoppage time, Henry Smith again saved from Sidibeh as Brocton were glad of the half-time whistle.

Half-Time: Cheadle Heath Nomads 1 Brocton 0

Brocton started the second half well, a Reg Smith snapshot hit straight at Piper. In the 49th minute, Cheadle Heath were awarded a penalty when Thomas bundled over Sidibeh. Sidibeh himself took the penalty and it was a shocker, well wide of Henry Smith’s goal. Brocton created a chance to level when Whieldon played the ball over the top to Payne with Piper racing off his line to clear. Cheadle Heath doubled their lead in the 52nd minute. Sidibeh clipped a ball forward to his strike partner Dass, his first time shot perfectly executed over Smith and into the net. The two combined again four minutes later with Dass firing over the bar from a good position. They weren’t to be thwarted and the third Cheadle Heath goal was scored in the 57th minute. If we thought the second goal was good, this was a belter, Sidibeh volleying into the top corner from 25 yards. The home side were hunting for me, and when Dass reached the by-line his cross was well cut out by Thomas. Brocton, to their credit, didn’t let their heads drop and great work by King won a corner on the right. Connor Haddaway’s delivery was met by Reg Smith, his header hitting the top of the crossbar. Both sides continued to trade punches with Reg Smith and Ben Haddaway having shots saved for Brocton, and Sidibeh forcing another stop from Henry Smith. Cheadle Heath extended their lead in the 79th minute. Sidibeh used his pace to race onto a ball down the left. Henry Smith raced to the near touchline to clear but Sidibeh won the challenge, hit the ball towards the empty net where Harrison Bickerton tapped in to make sure it crossed the line. Alex Curtis made a welcome return for Brocton and one of his first touches almost created a goal for Reg Smith, his header being tipped over the bar by Piper. Reg Smith hit the side netting with Brocton’s last effort but it was the impressive home side that took all three points.

Full-Time: Cheadle Heath Nomads 4 Brocton 0 Attendance:71

Cheadle Heath Nomads: Morgan Piper, Robel Kesete, Mark Haslam, Jack Warren, Harrison Cunningham, Ayomide Ibrahim (Harri White 85), Ryan Shenton, Isaac Graham (Eric Yahaya 80), Adama Sidibeh (Isaac Lopes 86), Dan Byrnes (Brandon Byers Wilkes 75), Reuben Dass (Harrison Bickerton 71)

Brocton: Henry Smith, Adam Weldon (Charlie King 15), Jake Triggs (Jake Thomas (Alex Curtis 80) 37), Jack Bostock, Tom Vaughan, Ben Haddaway, Christian Blanchette, Will Whieldon, Reg Smith, Connor Haddaway, Morgan Payne (Will Finlay 73). Sub (Not Used: Jonty Kearns

Yellow Cards: Whieldon (Brocton)


bottom of page